Thursday, January 31, 2008
Why do hospitals smell like corn and throwup?
Why do hospitals always smell like a mixture of throw up and corn? I work in a outpatient clinic during the week. One Saturday I went and volunteered in the inpatient hospital setting. The first thing I noticed was the smell . The second thing was the silence in the halls unlike all the excitement you see of the television shows. I think it’s interesting that they put the T.V. on in the rooms and I wonder if the patients even want to watch hours and hours of shows. I guess its better than just sitting there in silence and being reminded you are in a hospital by yourself. The first room we went in was hot and the lady didn’t quite know were she was, probably all the medicine in her system. I wish that someone could be there all the time to keep the patients company. The next two patients seemed aggravated that they were in the hospital and were just ready to go home. The last room we go in for the day had a happier and more hopeful tone. The lady had her daughter there and her two kids. They brought flowers and a hot pink flamingo. She seemed to be in a hopeful mood trying her hardest to walk and making jokes. What a difference some support from family makes. In this room I even forgot about the smell.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Well, I guess I can read this whenever I want to supress my appetite! But good description!
K. Smith
English 226
I really enjoy your thought-provoking angle on the aromatic displeasures that one encounters during medical tarriance.
Jackson
Post a Comment